A classic chakalaka – refreshing spicy tomato bean relish that will make you go up for second helpings! We use our NEW Kalahari Desert Salt, Selected by Maldon to elevate the spices of cumin and cayenne pepper and make your taste buds sing!
Chakalaka originates from South Africa and is a staple throughout the country! This pairs perfect with barbecues, known as braais. It is believed that the dish was developed by men who worked within the goldmines, combining vegetables with beans to form a tasty relish to give them enough energy for the day.
Here is how to make our Chakalaka…
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and then add the onion. Cook for a few minutes until it starts to soften and go translucent.
- Next add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin and cayenne and fry for another minute.
- Add the diced peppers and cook for a couple of minutes to allow them to soften.
- Next add the grated carrot, tomato paste and tinned tomatoes. Mix it well so everything is well coated and allow it to cook for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Finally add the cannellini beans, fresh thyme and seasoning and allow it to bubble for a further 5 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and then serve.