- Grease an ovenproof dish (roughly 25 x 25cm). Slice the gingerbread and butter each slice with the softened butter, then cut into triangles.
- Arrange the slices in the dish and sprinkle with the sultanas, the orange zest and cinnamon. Continue until you have used up all the slices of the gingerbread.
- Gently warm the double cream and milk together in a pan to scalding point but being careful to not let it boil. Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk together with the sugar and Maldon Salt until pale, then gradually pour in the milk mixture and whisk until smooth. Strain this through a sieve into a jug. Pour this custard mixture over the gingerbread. Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Once the oven is hot, sprinkle the top of the custard-soaked pudding with a little extra demerara sugar and then place it into the oven and bake for 30 – 40 mins until set.
- While the pudding is baking, make the eggnog custard.
- In a pan gently heat the cream with the vanilla paste, cinnamon stick and nutmeg until scalding point but not boiling.
- Place the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk with the golden caster sugar and cornflour until pale and well combined. Then slowly add the warm cream mixture, whisking continuously to make a smooth custard base.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve and back into a clean pan. Heat gently, while whisking until it thickens. Add a splash of brandy if desired.Serve the warm gingerbread and butter pudding from the oven alongside the eggnog custard. Sprinkle with a little Maldon Salt to help cut through the sweetness.
Serving: 8 people
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Sliced gingerbread cake
25g butter, softened
softened 50g sultanas
1 orange, zested
2 tsp cinnamon
350ml whole milk
50ml double cream
2 large Leghorn White eggs
A pinch of Maldon Salt
25g granulated sugar, plus extra for the top
500ml double cream
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
5 large Leghorn White egg yolks
1 cinnamon stick
50g golden caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
½ tsp ground nutmeg
Splash of brandy (optional)
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Keep up to date and stay inspired with the latest recipes.