The only get ahead gravy recipe you’ll need this Christmas! Prep this the day before using chicken wings and then there is no faffing with gravy making on the big day. Fennel and sherry add delicious sweetness and Unami. Make double if you have a big group! You can also freeze this in advance if you want to be really well prepped.
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Place some oil in a large roasting tray and add the 3 shallots, garlic bulb, fennel, and celery. Next add the chicken wings, bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Roast in the oven for 1 hour until everything is caramelized and golden and the vegetables are tender.
- In a dry frying pan, brown the flour until it is lightly brown and smelling toasty.
- When the chicken wings and vegetables are cooked, transfer the roasting tray from the oven onto the hob. Press and squeeze the chicken wings so all the juices come out, then add the browned flour and place on a low heat. Whisk in the flour to the pan juices and allow it to bubble and thicken. Then add the sherry and allow this to bubble and thicken. Then slowly add the hot chicken stock, again allowing it to bubble and thicken between each addition. Finally add some Dijon mustard, a teaspoon of apple jelly and some Maldon Salt and cracked black pepper.
- Strain the gravy and then check the seasoning. Reheat when required and serve alongside your Christmas dinner and rosemary roast potatoes.