Let’s make a fresh batch of momos filled with juicy minced chicken that are served with a zingy tomato and chilli chutney sauce. We prepare the momos by using our NEW Himalayan Pink Salt, selected by Maldon.
Chicken momos are a very popular North Eastern dish, particularly in Tibet. Being a tasty treat for many within the region, the word ‘momo’ actually means ‘steamed bread’ in Chinese, where people can see the resemblance to a dumpling due to it’s doughy outer and succulent, juicy centre.
Here is how to make our Chicken Momos with Tomato Chilli Chutney…
- Start by making the dough for the momos. In a large bowl add the flour and a pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt. Add the oil and mix it in well.
- Next add the water and mix it well with your hands until combined and the dough feels smooth. Cover the bowl with clingfilm or a tea towel and set aside.
- Next make your filling. In a bowl mix together the chicken mince, garlic, ginger, spring onions, green chilli, lemongrass, chopped coriander and mint and Himalayan Pink Salt. Mix well until evenly distributed.
- Now start on the sauce. In a large pan add the tomatoes, dried chillies and garlic cloves and pour over the water. Place it onto the heat and bring the water to the boil. Simmer the tomatoes for 5 – 8 minutes until they soften and break down, and the dried chillies have also softened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before placing in a high-powered blender along with the soy, caster sugar and pinch of Himalayan salt and blitzing until smooth. Set aside to serve later.
- Now you can shape your momos. Divide the dough into 15 equal balls. Lightly dust the work surface and then use a rolling pin to roll each ball into a circle as thin as you can.
- Lift the circle and place it into the palm of your hand. Spoon in about 1-2 tsp amount of the filling. Then use your fingers to lift the sides of the dough to enclose the filling and pinch in a pleating action all the way around until you have a spiral. Pinch the dough in the middle of this to make sure it is fully sealed – it will look like a little moneybag.
- Continue with the rest of the balls and using the filling until you have all your shaped momos.
- Prepare your bamboo steamers with some greaseproof paper in the layers and place them onto a pan with an inch of simmering water.
- Steam the momos on the layers for approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve the momos warm with some sliced spring onions scattered over and the tomato chilli chutney for dipping.