- Preheat the oven to 230c fan. Add the aubergines to a large bowl with the oil, achiote,
maple, chilli paste and Maldon Salt and mix well. Spread out on a large, flat, parchment-lined
- Add all the mango sauce ingredients to a medium high sided tray.
- Place the aubergines on the top shelf of the oven and the mango sauce tray on the bottom shelf. Roast for 25 minutes, then flip the aubergines and roast for another 10 minutes, or until golden-brown on both sides. At this point the onions in the mango sauce should be nicely browned around the edges and the sauces should be the consistency of maple syrup. Set aside to cool.
- Mix all the ingredients for the yoghurt together in a medium bowl.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a very hot pan until golden brown and fragrant. Add all the sesame salt ingredients to a mortar and roughly crush (not too much, you do not want the sesame seeds to become a powder).
- Serve once the aubergine and sauce have cooled (they should be just above room temperature or they’ll melt the yogurt). Spoon the yogurt onto a platter, then top with the roasted aubergines and the sauce. Avoid the allspice berries and cinnamon.
- Finish with the spring onions, sesame salt and serve with lime wedges.
3 Aubergines, cut into 3 cm-thick rounds (800g)
4 tbsp Olive oil
1 tsp Achiote/annatto seeds, blitzed to a powder (or use ½ tsp paprika + plenty of black pepper)
2 tsp Maple syrup
½ tsp Calabrian chilli paste aka crema di pepperoncino
2 tsp Maldon sea salt
2 Spring onions, green ends julienned
2 Limes, cut into cheeks
For the Mango Sauce:
4 tbsp Olive oil
350g Pineapple juice
40g Freshly squeezed tangerine juice (from 2-3 tangerines)
150g Extra ripe mango, finely chopped
1 Brown onion, peeled and cut into eighths
4 Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed with the side of a knife
4 Allspice berries, roughly crushed
1 Cinnamon stick, broken
1 dried Guajillo chilli
Very generous pinch Maldon sea salt
For the Lime Yogurt:
350g Unsweetened coconut or regular yoghurt
1 small Garlic clove, finely grated/crushed
1 tsp Lime zest
¼ tsp Maldon sea salt
For the Sesame Salt:
2 tbsp Sesame seeds
¾ tsp Medium curry powder
½ tsp Gochugaru chilli flakes
1 tsp Maldon sea salt (or more, to taste)
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Keep up to date and stay inspired with the latest recipes.