Salted caramel is glazed across these hot cross buns, which are filled with dark chocolate, sultanas, and spices. They are perfect when toasted and spread with lovely whipped, salted butter.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, yeast, caster sugar, mixed spice, cinnamon, and a large pinch of Maldon salt. In a separate bowl mix together the warm milk, egg, and melted butter. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and then pour in the egg mixture. Mix this together in a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. If you don’t have a stand mixer you can knead by hand on the surface for approximately 10 minutes.
- Place the dough into a clean, lightly greased bowl and cover with clingfilm or a tea towel in a slightly warm place until it has doubled in size – this will take roughly an hour.
- Once the dough has risen, knock back the air and then tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and stretch it out. Sprinkle across the chocolate chips and the sultanas and then knead once more until they are evenly incorporated throughout – you can do this in the stand mixer again, if available.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal balls and round them until smooth in your hands. Place them onto a lined baking sheet with a little gap between each to allow them to grow. Cover this loosely with some clingfilm and give them a second prove for 20 minutes until they have puffed up. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a small bowl mix together the plain flour with roughly 50 ml of water (you may need more), until you have a thick paste. Spoon this mixture into a piping bag and then carefully pipe lines across the top of each bun to make the Hot Cross Bun’s crosses. Place them into the middle of the oven and back for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown and puffed up.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and then, whilst still warm, brush over the salted caramel sauce with a pastry brush. Finally sprinkle over a last pinch of Maldon Salt. Serve warm or toasted, alongside some whipped butter.