We have teamed up with the talented Chef Ben Tish to create a British-loved classic with a twist – toast! This recipe is perfect as a breakfast or brunch to enjoy amongst friends and family on a dreary Sunday.
Ben whips creamy ricotta cheese to spread on each slice of homemade sourdough bread, toasted so that it is deliciously golden and warm. Laying cooked asparagus on top of the whipped ricotta creates a perfect flavour balance between sweet and savoury, which is only elevated further with a pinch of Maldon sea salt flakes!
Take this recipe even further by adding a perfect soft-boiled egg on top of the dish, sprinkled with an Aleppo pepper salt mix, which again incorporates Maldon Salt to enhance the fiery kick.
What is Aleppo pepper?
Aleppo pepper is named after the Syrian city of Aleppo, where it is largely grown in the area. It is also known as the Halaby pepper, where the pods, once ripened, are semi-dried, de-seeded and crushed to form the spice that we all know and love today.
It has a mild to moderate heat of around 10,000 on the Scoville scale, with almost cumin-like undertones. When combined with Maldon Salt flakes, it enhances the flavour to have a slightly sweet, raisin-like taste, counteracting the bitterness from the chilli itself.
What can you use instead of Aleppo pepper?
You can substitute Aleppo pepper with a mixture of paprika and cayenne pepper. It’s very easy to make! Since Aleppo pepper is mild in heat, we recommend only using 3-4 times as much paprika as cayenne pepper to replicate the gentle spice. Feel free to add more cayenne pepper if you desire a more fiery kick!
How to make asparagus, ricotta toast with egg and Aleppo pepper…
- Firstly, place the eggs in a saucepan and cook for 6 minutes on medium heat.
- After 6 minutes, carefully drain the water out of the saucepan.
- Run cold water on the eggs for a minute. This will cool the shells off quickly and make it easier for you to peel the shell off.
- When cool enough to handle, carefully begin to peel. Set aside in a bowl.
- Set a pan of salted water on medium heat.
- Add the asparagus and gently boil for 3 minutes until just tender.
- Remove from the water and drain well.
- Season with a generous pinch of Maldon Salt, black pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ricotta with the lemon zest and some black pepper.
- Mix the Aleppo pepper with 1 tsp of Maldon salt.
- When ready to serve, toast the sourdough lightly on both sides. Spread each slice with the whipped ricotta and then top with the asparagus.
- Cut each egg in half and place this on the toast with the asparagus.
- Finally, sprinkle the Aleppo pepper salt over the top and finish with a small pouring of olive oil.
- Serve immediately.
Can you make this vegan?
You can easily make this vegan by replacing the soft-boiled eggs with tofu. Tofu is made out of pressed soybean curd which contains a high protein content. Since tofu contains moisture, it allows the texture to replicate that of an egg, making it a great alternative for vegans wanting to gain that flavour/taste experience of this recipe.