- Soft boil the Burford browns for 6 minutes. Place into an iced water bath instantly. Allow to cool before carefully peeling. Set aside
- Sweat the diced onion until soft and caramelized along with the thyme leaves and sage. Allow to cool before mixing with the turkey mince, diced cranberries, and plenty of Maldon salt and cracked black pepper.
- Shape the filling around the peeled eggs carefully, pressing it well so they are tightly enclosed and then place them into the fridge for 30 minutes to set up.
- Get three separate bowls, in the first add the plain flour and season well with Maldon salt and cracked black pepper. In the second, add the beaten egg. And in the final bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs.
- To coat the eggs start by rolling in the flour, making sure it covered all over lightly, tapping off any excess. Then place it in the beaten egg and coat, then into the panko breadcrumbs. Use the wet egg to stick the breadcrumbs on and press it in firmly with your hands. Repeat with all 8 eggs.
- In a large pan, add some vegetable oil so it comes up halfway up the pan, then heat until it reaches 180C on a thermometer.
- When the oil has reached temperature, use a slotted spoon to lower the scotch egg into the oil and deep fry for 3-4 mins then remove and set onto kitchen paper. You will have to do this in small batches. Serve straight away with the sauces, some chopped chives, and a final sprinkle of Maldon salt and cracked black pepper.
Print this Recipe
Serving: makes 8
Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
500g turkey mince
1 tsp thyme leaves
1 tsp chopped sage
75g dried cranberries, finely chopped
8 Burford Brown eggs, soft boiled
100g plain flour
2 beaten eggs (any of your choice)
100g Panko breadcrumbs
Cracked black pepper
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1 tbsp chopped chives
Served with: Cranberry sauce, Colman’s mustard
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Keep up to date and stay inspired with the latest recipes.