Transform your squid with a coating of Maldon Salt and Sichuan peppercorns. When fried in vegetable oil, you will receive a fantastically crispy squid ring, so crunchy in texture you be wanting more! We garnish our squid with spring onions, red chilli and coriander to give a gentle warmth to the side dish.
We serve these with a sweet chilli dipping sauce and lime wedges to be gently juiced over to create that perfect balance of spice and zesty.
- Prepare the squid by cleaning under cold water. Pull the tentacles from the body, removing the ink sac and pull out the quill that is inside of the body. Rinse the body sac. Cut through the head, just below the tentacles and remove the beak-like piece. Make sure to remove the membrane from the body, discard and wash the pieces of squid remaining again.
- In a large bowl, mix the flours with the ground peppers and Maldon Salt. Add the squid and mix well so the pieces are evenly coated.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan until it reaches 180C, you want it to be at least 3 inches high up the side of the pan.
- Deep fry the squid in batches for roughly 2 mins or until golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oil and drain on some kitchen roll, and sprinkle with some extra Maldon Salt.
- Serve the squid immediately, garnished with the sliced spring onions, red chilli and coriander leaves and serve alongside a sweet chilli dipping sauce and lime wedges.