Let’s celebrate spring with a salad packed full of using the season’s delicious and vibrant produce, including jersey royal potatoes, asparagus and peas!
We give our salad a twist by making a fresh, wild garlic pesto which is drizzled on the potatoes and acts as a final salad dressing to the dish once assembled. We offer a full detailed recipe on how to make a wild garlic pesto which is also great to garnish over meat and vegetables, or stirred through a pasta dish.
If you would like to add additional elements to this salad, we welcome adding blue cheese, a handful of cherry tomatoes, red onion and a handful of fresh herbs. If you would like an alternative dressing to the dish, although ready-made sauces likes Salad Cream is a cult favourite, we also have a gorgeous apple cyder vinaigrette which made by using Aspall’s Apple Cyder Vinegar.
To finish off the dish, a generous sprinkling of Maldon Salt is a must. Not only does the sea salt flakes transform dull flavours to a more balance, brightened and elevated shine, it gives that perfect flaky crunch that you crave when you tuck into your salad.
- Start by preparing the wild garlic pesto. In a food processor or blender add the pesto ingredients and blitz until it forms a paste, this can be as chunky or smooth as you like. It will be vibrant green from the wild garlic leaves.
- Set aside.
- Next cook the jersey royal potatoes. If any of them are larger than the other, cut them in half. Place them in a large pan of water and bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes until they feel tender when inserted with a knife.
- While the potatoes are cooking bring a second pan of water up to the boil. Once boiling blanch your asparagus, peas and broad beans for 1 minutes until just tender. Remove the pan from the heat and drain.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them too and allow to steam for a minute. After this toss them in 2/3 of the wild garlic pesto.
- On a large serving platter spoon on the warm pesto potatoes. Top with the blanched asparagus, broad beans and peas.
- Drizzle with the remaining pesto, some cracked black pepper and some Maldon Salt.Garnish with the fresh pea shoots and serve.