This is is brunch-time classic!
Deliciously creamy avocado, smothered on toasted sourdough and topped with a oozing poached egg. To really make these flavours sing, we add a pinch of Maldon Chilli Sea Salt to the dish to give a spicy, aromatic kick.
Here is how to make avocado on toast with poached egg and chilli salt…
- Place a pan of water on the hob and bring up to a simmering boil.
- Preperare your avocado toast first. Cut the avocado in half and then take the skin off each half and remove the stone. Place the cut side of each avocado half flat on your board and use your knife to cut thin slices, then gently press the avocado out to fan it out. Squeeze over some of the lemon juice (this will help stop the avocado from turning brown).
- Lift each fan of avocado onto your slice of toast.
- Next poach your eggs. Turn the heat down on the water so it is just a simmering heat. Crack each egg into a small ramekin. Use the stick end of a wooden spoon and swirl it around in the water to create a whirlpool, then quickly drop your egg from the ramekin into the middle. The ‘whirlpool’ will help keep the egg in a neat shape. Poach for 2 minutes until the white is just set but the yolk is still runny.
- When cooked, lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and blot off any excess water on some kitchen towel. Then place each egg onto the avocado toast.
- Garnish each toast with some Maldon Chilli Sea Salt, cracked black pepper, fresh chilli slices and some coriander.
- Serve with the remaining lemon cut into wedges.