- If you’re using larger potatoes, preheat the oven to 210°C/190°C Fan/gas mark 7/425ºF; for roasting new potatoes, preheat to 200°C/180°C Fan/gas mark 6/400ºF.
- Put each potato, in turn, in the bowl of a wooden spoon, like you would carry an egg in an egg-and-spoon race, and cut across at about 3mm / one-eighth of an inch interval.
- When you’ve cut them all, put the baking tin on the hob with the butter and oil and heat up till sizzling. Turn the potatoes well, putting them in upside down (ie, cut side down) first, then the right side up, and spoon the fat over them.
- Sprinkle each potato well with Maldon salt and put in the oven: cook the large potatoes for about an hour and 10 minutes, testing to see whether the flesh is soft (you may need another 10 minutes for this); 40 minutes should be fine for the new potatoes.
- Transfer to a warmed plate, and serve.
Prep Time: 1 hour 10
18 Medium potatoes (oval shaped) or 36 new potatoes
5 tbsp Olive oil
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Keep up to date and stay inspired with the latest recipes.