- Set the oven to 200°C. Wash the beetroot. Cut a large piece of foil and place all but two of the beetroots on the foil, drizzle with a little olive oil, 2 tablespoons of water, salt and pepper and wrap the beetroot up into a parcel and place on a baking tray. Bake for 35 minutes in the centre of the oven. Open up the parcel and continue to bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- In the meantime prepare the remaining beetroot, wash, peel and slice very finely, if you have a mandolin this will do the job perfectly. If you’re using different coloured beetroot you’ll have to pickle them separately as the colours will bleed. Mix the water, vinegar, sugar and salt and stir until dissolved. Place the beets into a non reactive bowl and pour over the pickling solution. Leave to pickle for at least 25 minutes.
- Brush the rye bread with a little olive oil and roughly chop the walnuts, bake in the oven until crisp and the nuts golden, approximately 5 minutes.
- Wash and de-vein the kale, cut into approximately 4cm pieces. Have a pan of salted boiling water ready and blanch for 3 minutes, plunge into ice cold water. Drain and squeeze out any excess water, unfurl the leaves and place onto a piece of kitchen paper ready to sauté.
- In a frying pan add a little olive oil and heat to high add the kale and season, sauce for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, heat to boiling point and reduce the heat to low, crumble the chèvre into the pan and whisk vigorously.
- Spoon the chèvre cream onto the plate, cut the roasted beetroot into quarters or sixths, depending on the size. Arrange on top of the chèvre cream along with the kale and then the slices of pickled beetroot. Top with the rye crisps and roasted nuts, serve warm.
Swedish warm winter saladPrint this Recipe
IngredientsSEA SALT FLAKES 125g
1 Kg Fresh Beetroot medium in size, mixed colours if possible
75 ml Whole Milk
200 g Chèvre cheese rind removed
3 Very thinly sliced slices dark Rye Bread
50 g Walnuts toasted
50 ml Apple Cider Vinegar
50 ml water
25g Caster Sugar
1 tsp Maldon Salt
You may be interested in
Butternut and Mushroom Wellington
How to create: Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan) mark 6 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Peel the squash...
Vegetarian Sausage rolls
How to create: Fry the sausages until nicely brown, but don’t overcook them. Set aside to cool.Roll out your pastry and cut...
Ultimate Christmas cheese board
Here’s our top tips to create the ultimate Christmas cheese board! Leave softer cheeses such as brie or blue cheeses whole, slice...
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST
Keep up to date and stay inspired with the latest recipes.